According to the UNDP:
- Nicaragua is the second poorest country in the Americas
- 48% of the population lives below the poverty line
- Nearly 80% of Nicaraguans earn less than $2 per day
- Nearly 70% of Nicaraguans are unemployed or underemployed
- One in four children is born to a teenage mother
Acccording to Unicef:
- One-third of the adult population cannot read or write
- Only 29% of Nicaraguan children complete primary (elementary) school
- It takes the average Nicaraguan 10 years to complete elementary school
- Less than half (40%) of students who finish elementary school go on to complete high school
According to the FAO:
- 27% of all Nicaraguans are suffering from undernourishment, the highest percentage in all of Central America
- One in three children suffer from some form of malnutrition
- 20% of the population could not meet
their minimal daily caloric requirement if they spent 100% of their income on food.
- 3.8% of Nicaraguan children die before the age of 5
NicaWorks! How We Started
Stay Connected & Grow
Subscribe to receive NicaWorks! eNewsletter.
NicaWorks! would like to help you create a meaningful long-term partnership between your church, organization or business and our partners in Nicaragua.
"Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me." (Matthew 25:40)